The rare diamonds in fancy color engagement rings come in a range of hues and clarity available in any of the amazing cuts used for natural diamonds. Natural diamonds are color graded on a scale ranging from D to Z, with D being a colorless stone and grades nearing Z containing tints of color, such as grey or yellow. Fancies are color graded with terms that run the gamut from Fancy Light to Fancy Dark. The criteria for grading clarity is the same for all diamonds, regardless of color.
Here are some facts to know when searching for fancy color engagement rings:
1. Colorless/white diamonds are color-graded in a face-down position, meaning the table (flat, top facet) faces down. Fancy colored diamonds are color-graded in a face-up position and will be certified with terms that range between Fancy Light and Fancy Deep. The gorgeous clear and rich emerald cut engagement ring below is GIA-certified as Fancy Yellow, which is in the median range of color.
2. Fancy colored diamonds form naturally. The colors are created when chemicals combine with the crystal structure during formation, such as radiation (green), nitrogen (yellow) or boron(blue). Scientists still don’t know the exact causes of certain colors to form.
3. Fancies can be shaped by the same diamond cuts used in white diamonds. Certain mixed cuts with a deeper pavilion, such as the cushion or radiant can maximize the inherent hue and may improve the certified color-grade.
5. Terms such as “canary” and “chocolate”, “champagne” and “cognac” are marketing terms only and do not describe a special type of diamond that is worth more or of higher quality. You may have seen a stone like the one below described as a “canary diamond”, which is a fancier branding of the stone’s actual color certification grade of Fancy Intense Yellow.
6. Diamonds nearer the Z grades will contain a hint of grey or yellow and can be an even greater bargain for the shopper that desires just a hint of color without the price tag that accompanies the term, “fancy”. The center diamond showcased below is not certified as a fancy color, but is a natural diamond graded with a color V.
Beautiful and rich fancy color engagement rings are the ideal choice for the bride that desires a rare gemstone to add a touch of color to their ring. Mark Broumand makes the purchase of a fancy color engagement ring affordable for everyone. If you are in the market for a custom diamond ring, Mark can create a fancy color engagement ring to match your budget and tastes.